Thursday, August 2, 2007

Hi-Tech Training for the Type A Runner

You know its bad when it comes to this: a birthday arrives and there aren't flowers or perfume or other niceties. Instead, you unwrap a runner's GPS and think, "What a great gift!" (Thank you spouse & son!)

For all runners (like me) who are also documentation-oriented, this is a fun training toy. Till now, I've timed my runs every day with a plastic watch that doesn't always work. Now, the GPS kicks in, the timer rolls, and I can get mileage or time alerts on the road, glance down to see my pace or distance, and upload the whole thing for training logs to analyze.

And this is a gift that really keeps on giving for the Type A personality. Once the GPS is rolling and the run is coming to a close, I think, "Well....but only .3 of a mile more and that would be a nice round number." Or "Gee, that pace is faster than I thought, I suppose I could try a little bit harder." You get the idea. This device is not so much hi-tech as it is automated gadfly. Another incentive to push the limits (just a little.) The GPS induced goal for my next birthday year: log a minimum of 1000 miles in those 364 remaining days. (I probably already do that modest amount anyhow--but the GPS makes it seem official.)

I know it sounds like a bit much--and it is--but its fun. For me, the effort is real when there's data that follows. I can train against an imaginary partner, time splits, or not. More likely not. But I like the idea of it. And that's what gifts are for.

LO Details: Design (c) 2007 Ann Hetzel Gunkel; Software: Adobe Photoshop; Digital Supplies: Daydream Collection by Erica Hite at ScrapGirls

3 comments:

The Snarky Patient said...

As someone who began running around the same time as making Lifetime at WW, your blog really is awesome and inspiring. I have already run 2 5ks and I am in it all for the long haul now!!

How do you like your garmin? It looks so big- where do you wear it? I was looking at the new garmin forerunner 50 which is a watch with a footpod.

Just not sure which to invest in and thought I would ask!

Thanks again for sharing all your insights!
Shari

The Gunkel Family said...

Hi! Thanks for posting. The garmin is a little big- but not a probelm. I waer it on my forearm above my wrist. It doesn't bother me at all. You can get really small watch size models but the price climbs A LOT. I'm not familiar with the footpod, so Icouldn't comment on that one. Happy running! (And thanks for posting)

The Snarky Patient said...

Thanks so much for your input- I am still investigating the whole "footpod" thing, but I am really looking forward to running with whichever Garmin I get!

Shari