Monday, May 14, 2007

NSV - Episode 4: Runner's High

It's real--not an apocryphal tale told to get you off your butt. Runners high does exist. And it comes in many forms. For me, it usually kicks in somewhere after around 40 minutes on the road. Suddenly, I'm just lighter and jollier than before. Sometimes I feel an amazing surge of renewed energy. Sometimes, like today, I find myself smiling or laughing--looking, no doubt, like a total loon to those I bypass. Sometimes, like today, I can get giddy, and find myself so preoccupied with the fun of running that I forget where I am.

That's what happened today, when a total stranger once again boosted my spirits. Last winter I wrote about the way folks cheered me on as I ran diligently the morning after a Chicago ice storm. Today it's a beautiful spring day in Chicago: the lilacs & bridal veils are in bloom, the sun shone down upon me, and as I raced past a crossing guard at the local school, he yelled, "Keep up the great work!" In an instant, I realized that it was the same guy from those months ago who had helped me on my way. So I yelled back as I zoomed past, "50 pounds lost," raising my arms in a mock Olympian finish-line gesture. He cheered again and called out, " Fantastic! God Bless you!"

I don't know this person's name. I've seen him twice in my life so far as I'm aware. But this complete stranger has boosted my spirits, encouraged my efforts and perked me up two-fold. That day last winter, I ran my first 8k. It seemed epic at the time. Yesterday, I ran my first 12K. It seemed epic, too. The journey continues on....aided by the enthusiasm and kindness of total strangers. Thanks to them, wherever they are, once again.

And as for runner's high, that unexpected cheering section buoyed me up such that a mile or two later, I realized I didn't even know where I was at--I was simply sailing on, lifted up by runner's high.

No comments: