Thursday, May 31, 2007

NSV - Episode 5: A Trail Runner's War Stories

One of the best things about running is the new avenue of experience opened by health & fitness. This past Memorial Day weekend, I was able to enjoy a series of adventures that would never have happened prior to my running life. My family hiked and climbed in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina several hours a day during a holiday visit to Oma & Opa. Being fit and strong made this exciting, delightful and fun, rather than a punishment. Moreover, the idea of NOT being active is now so foreign to us that such outings are simply a given as soon as breakfast is over.

Our first climb in the Pisgah National Forest was a moderately difficulty hike with a 40 minute ascent up the mountain, a cross-over on the mountain's ridge, followed by a steep descent. Several hours later, nearing the end of the trail, we encountered a six-foot long black snake--a MAJOR event for city folks like us and my five year old son. Yikes!

Thanks to suggestions from Opa and Oma Hetzel, we next headed to Dupont Falls. Our hikes were to wonderful waterfalls in the Dupont State Forest. We hiked down to High Falls and then over and down to Triple Falls. During this outing, I experimented with trail running. I've never tried my run on a rugged and steep surface such as mountain trails. And I loved it! The challenge of the terrain and the grades made it a great workout, especially for an urban flatlander like me. This adventure was made exhilarating by the spectacular waterfalls we visited. The wonder on my son's face was well worthwhile. And the cold spray of the falls felt pretty amazing after some serious uphill running.

Our last adventure in Dupont Falls is the source of my "war story." When I became a Weight Watcher's Warrior (I was dubbed so by my WW leader Peter), I didn't realize I'd be collecting battle stories along the way. This one comes courtesy of a mountain trail to the more remote Wintergreen Falls in Dupont Forest.

Giddy with the new challenge of trail running, I once again ran the terrain ahead of my family. I'd run the paths to the trail forks and then run back to my guys with directions. This back-and-forth continued all the way to the fall's descent. But I was having so much fun that I got careless. As you approach the waterfalls at any of these destinations, you encounter a stern (and scary) sign: "Danger! Steep cliffs and slippery rocks. Injury and Death possible." Well, I was so busy reading this ominous warning that I stopped watching my footing. And Boom! Tripping over a boulder, I took a good spill in two sharp moves--one smashdown to the shoulders and knees, followed by a whiplash move that sent my face careering into a rock.

After the shock to my body (and my pride--although I was all alone in the forest), I surveyed the damage, afraid to move. Calling for help from my guys--who had caught up to me on the trail, I found that despite some abrasions, bruises and a split lip later, I was without serious injury. Shaken but OK, we eventually climbed down to the falls in solitude, enjoying the wonderful scene.

I have to admit with a touch of machismo that this war story makes me secretly proud. Not of my dufus-ness, of course. But of my ability to engage these adventures with my runner's body. Being strong is giving me new opportunities to explore with my family, create memories, and enjoy all manner of excitements that would never have occurred to me in years past. That is worth so much more than the number on a scale could ever measure.

Notes: Some Tips for Trail Running on Hiking/Mountain Trails

1. Don't be like me. If you can, get some trail running shoes. The sturdier soles and support will help with rocks, muck, mulch, tree stumps, limbs and the rugged terrain. They will also prevent your "good" running shoes from getting trashed like mine did.

2. Even in the forest, put on sunblock.

3. Always have a terrain/trail map with you.

4. Wear sunglasses or prescription glasses. I was really glad for the old Rx pair that I use for running. When I took my fall, they protected my eyes.

5. A cap or hat is useful for keeping bugs, mulch, sun and sweat off your face. (I have a washable, wicking SPF cap that is pretty handy.)

5. Have someone take water, a snack, and a first aid kit in the hiking pack. I did not have the latter and wished for it once the aches set in.

6. When you are running, YOU MUST IGNORE THE SCENERY. You must keep your eyes down on the trail and at your feet at all times. The terrain is too rugged to run safely while sight-seeing.

Layout Design (c) 2007 Ann Hetzel Gunkel ; Photo (c) 2007 David Gunkel; Digital Supplies: Papers & Embellishments: Erica Hite's Daydream Collection at Scrap Girls
Ribbons: Thao Cosgrove's Friendship Collection at Scrap Girls.

No comments: