Sunday, May 6, 2007

Peace through Strength

Peace through Strength: Orwellian nightmare or neo-Con military-industrial doubletalk? Both, of course. But I've just recently found a way that this odd turn of phrase makes sense. For women becoming fit and active, sometimes for the first time in their lives, gaining physical strength can be an amazing path to contentment and peace with self.

Whether at Weight Watchers meetings or online running groups, one hears over and over again from women, "I never thought I could do anything right. I never thought I could accomplish anything. But now...."

Let me amend that slightly. I've always been fortunate enough to be able to accomplish things. In fact, not to toot my own horn, I've got stacks of accomplishments: a Ph.D. in Postmodern Philosophy, a lovely family, a good life as an energetic and effective Professor, a second career as an artist, speaking & reading several languages, a Fulbright fellowship, living and studying abroad numerous times. And to top it off, I still find myself hand-making the invitations, decorations and favors for every one of my son's birthday parties. In many ways, I'm the horrifying embodiment of the "superwoman" with all it entails (good and bad.) But despite all that, I've never actually felt a sense of accomplishment. Indeed, nothing has ever been enough to undo that nagging feeling that I wasn't quite good enough.

Well, that has changed. Peace through strength is the miraculous uncovery of confidence in a middle aged psyche and middle aged body. How is it possible that something so "trivial" as my diet and exercise could transform this lifelong lack? Women's sports activist and first woman to run the Boston Marathon, Katherine Switzer says, "Most of our lives we're not in situations where we feel strong. But we realize through running that we are powerful and that we have stamina..." She's dead right. As I run and run and run, I'm in touch--maybe for the first time ever--with my own strength, my own ability and my own power.

In short, it rocks. It has transformed my attitude about myself in a way that no list of abilities and achievements ever did. Suddenly, I've got (inner) peace through strength.

No comments: