Wednesday, March 21, 2007

NSV - Episode 2: Cheering Section

Some days when you least expect it, you will find that total strangers will cheer you on your running journey. These are some of the most delightful--perhaps because completely unexpected--Non Scale Victories.

One miserable morning, after a winter ice storm, I was out running, bundled up in four layers of polar fleece, following the only tolerable path I could find--the trail left by Chicago snowplows and salt trucks down the middle of my neighborhood streets. Parents were sliding along the thin covering of ice as they whisked kids off to school. Suddenly a crossing guard moved a barrier out of my way cheering, "God Bless you! Good for you! Go for it!" I suddenly felt a surge of energy.

Two blocks later, a mom was pulling her kids in a wagon inching down the slippery Chicago sidewalks. I'd never seen her before in my life, but she obviously lived somewhere on my running route. She yelled to me, "I've been watching you run since last year. You look fantastic!"
[I'm vain enough that the possibly creepy aspect of I"ve been watching you" left me unphased.] Wow! Now I was on fire.

These unexpected moments of encouragement and praise are a real reward for dedication to one's daily run. All of sudden, a middle-aged mom feels like an Olympian at the finish line. Complete strangers reach out to congratulate, encourage and boost my spirits.

That winter morning, following a nasty Chicago ice storm, I ran my first 8k ever. And I'm sure what put me over the top was the surge of energy from folks I don't even know by name. Thanks to each of them, wherever they are.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

You are so cool. I love this blog. I had no idea you were on this journey. What a creative documentation of it. You go girl!

The Gunkel Family said...

Mandy--How wonderful for you to visit! Its great to hear from you. And thanks for your encouragement!!

Mandy said...

As I'm looking at this again, I'm quite sure this needs to be a book. Your writing voice is incredible and people could totally relate to you. I couldn't read just one post. Had to read them all. Have any publishing connections?