Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Running to Eat: St. Joseph's Day Zeppole

One of the best things about running and healthy eating is that celebrations are not about deprivation. This week our family celebrated St. Joseph's Day in a big way as Italo-Americans and Polish-Americans in Chicago tend to do. (We belong to the latter group.) Let's face it, how cool is it when there is a patron saint of pastry chefs? Really cool!

This meant a giant St. Joseph's Day Table (a large public feast), repeated consumption of spectacular Zeppole (amazing Sicilian St. Joseph's Day pastries), and much merriment. Such lively excess might have once spawned feeling of guilt for me. But now, oddly, its quite the opposite. As my WW leader says, I don't let a lapse become a collapse. That frees me up to really enjoy special events--because they aren't a landslide into dietary hell. They're just celebrations. No more and no less. They don't carry moral weight, they're not a test of my willpower or character, and they don't have to loom large on my worry-horizon. And when they're over they're over. So, as Chicago polka legend, the late Lil' Wally used to say, "Live it up!"

If you want to know more about how cool St. Joseph's Day is in Chicago, visit my Polish Traditions website or check me out in the Chicago Sun Times.

Tips For Special Events:

1. Don't go to the party ravenous. (An apple or high fiber snack beforehand helps.)

2. Always, ALWAYS keep track of your POINTS (TM). They keep you accountable. Is a zeppole worth an extra 6k run? The answer to me is, Yes!

3. Have a plan. Think about what you really want to enjoy. Don't miss out on what's special, but always ask "Is this item really worth it to me?" If it's not, skip it for the good stuff! I plan and write out my points before parties, special events and restraurants, finding that a plan really makes a big difference. If I graze or "wing it," things don't go nearly so well.

4. Remember, this is not about dieting. Dieting is evil. Enjoy your life on St. Joseph's Day and every day. Viva San Giuseppe!

No comments: